How dangerous is the Poisonous Hemlock | What is the Hemlock

Published by Science Hub on

Poisonous Hemlock, What is the Hemlock

 

What is the Hemlock Plant

Hemlock is a highly poisonous hemlock biennial herbaceous flowering plant in the carrot family Apiaceae, native to Europe and North Africa. Hemlock is a hardy plant capable of living in a variety of environments, hemlock widely naturalized in places outside its native range such as Australia, West Asia and parts of North and South America, hemlock capable of spreading and thus becoming an invasive weed. 

All parts of the hemlock plant are poisonous, especially the seeds and roots, and especially when ingested. Hemlock under the right conditions This plant grows fairly quickly and can reach a height of 8 feet (2.4 m) with long penetrating roots. 

Poisonous Hemlock, What is the Hemlock

The plant has a distinctive odor that is generally considered unpleasant that moves with the wind. Hollow stems are usually seen with a dark maroon color before the plant dries out and becomes dry and brown after completing its biennial life cycle. 

Hemlock blooms for up to three weeks, depending on the region, in May-July with small white flowers. Seeds ripen in a month, unevenly. The smell of this plant is unpleasant, it is felt even at a distance, the whole plant looks like a bush of the forest. 

 

Poisonous Hemlock, What is the Hemlock

How dangerous is the Poisonous Hemlock?  

When skin and mucous membranes come into contact with the plant, severe allergic reactions occur. Any part of the plant, including, is dangerous to eat. One cup of hemlock would be enough for a person to die, as it is a powerful poison. The alkaloids conine, N-methyl conine, conhydrine, conicin, such as poison are found in the hemlock plant. 

Platypus a mysterious species

Once in the stomach and intestines, the poison is quickly absorbed, causing paralysis of the central nervous system (which leads to loss of its sensitivity), as well as respiratory paralysis. The ancient Greeks believed that hemlock kills painlessly, while the effect of hemlock on a person is truly terrifying. 

 

How dangerous is the poison of Hemlock for Humans? 

Signs of poisoning: With minor hemlock poisoning, there is pain in the legs when walking, bladder dysfunction (urinary incontinence), visual impairment. Severe poisoning with profuse salivation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, difficulty swallowing, inhibition of cardiac activity, a characteristic feature of hemlock poisoning is that a person remains completely immobile, but at the same time remains conscious.  

 

Common Symptoms 

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Stomach Ache
  • Diarrhea 

Symptoms of Severe Poisoning  

  • Convulsive Attacks
  • Shortness of breath and heart failure (Death is possible due to respiratory failure and heart failure)

 

The immediate cause of death in hemlock poisoning is paralysis of the respiratory muscles. Once in the stomach and intestines, the poison is immediately absorbed, causing paralysis of the central nervous system.

 

[How dangerous is the Poisonous Hemlock | What is the Hemlock Plant]


0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *